Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Wednesday-3 Days to Go

On this day I made the all important decision to join Carrie for her cycle class.  Thank goodness I did because I gained some much needed confidence, advice, and fire under my butt!  Carrie has a special gift for igniting fire in your soul.  She grabs you up and takes you with her to a place that you never thought you could go.  She always explains how to break through the mental barriers that hold you back.  She calmly coaches you through the panic, pain and fear of not being able keep up...or wanting to give up.  No rest breaks in her classes.  She expects you to keep up with her and bring it on.  Afterward you feel like you have worked out with a pro athlete and it makes you want to pat your own back with pride.  Uh huh, that's right mama.

It's not enough that Carrie helped me transform into a much better runner physically but she also has helped me to develop my mental toughness.  After giving me two mash-up cd's to add to my ipod which could not have been sweeter, and really freshened up my playlist, her last words to me were those that have stuck with her from a coach of hers.  "Just remember it's not a training run"..."It's supposed to hurt."  One thing I have definitely gotten over the fear of is feeling pain.  When I have aches or pains I don't panic like I used to.  I don't pay it any mind or attention.  Which explains why my calves feel like they are made of lead.   I ran on some painful cramped legs for almost half the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment