Sunday, October 9, 2011

Off To St George!

2 days before the marathon.  Do I even remember what I did on this day?  Thursday, September 29th is slowly slipping into a massive blur in the corner of my mind.  I wish I would have had the energy to write each day respectively in order to archive every detail of my St. George Marathon experience.  I will do my best to remember.  I know at this point I was starting to feel that sick feeling in my stomach that some call butterflies.  I started to lose sleep and feel that anxiety and anticipation of the unknown.  The questions in my mind were, will I succeed?  Can I qualify?  Am I strong enough?  Will it be hot?  Will I hit the wall at mile 20?  Am I sick?  Do I have a cold?  Are my legs feeling tight?  Can I break 4 hours?  Will I freak out?  Haleucinate?

As I packed and tried to prepare for the road trip, I was feeling more and more excitement.  Steve wasn't happy about me driving alone 6 hours to St. George but he finally gave in.  He was super Dad to stay home with my little darlings while I had my girl weekend.  Talk about love and support.  I am so grateful for him.  I drove out to Utah Thurs. and drove back Sunday.  Four days without mama is no joke.  I am blessed.

Things I'm glad I packed:  Chipins (yummy popcorn chips with sea salt).  My 2 pillows that I'm used to sleeping with.  Heating pad.  Massager.  Compression socks.  Homemade running shirt-1/4 cut sleeves so my arms were covered.  (I have chafing issues!)  Green ishuffle...

Best thing that I packed and will never do a race without: Sport Shield Wipes.  I had one in my bra that I could just pull out every once in a while, wipe between my legs and not miss a beat.  Vasiline is overrated!  It doesn't work as well and it makes a mess!

The drive was uneventful and fine until I arrived in Vegas.  I had to pee so bad I was tempted to just pull over on the highway and squat.  I had waited way too long to stop.  Then, I didn't know it at first, but there was an accident so I was stuck on the freeway right next to the strip for about 40 minutes.  Needless to say this did not happen on the way home.  So, my plan to do some shopping on the way down was foibled.  When I pulled into Jills driveway it was dark and she was already in her p-jays and taken her Ambien.

I was lucky enough to be able to stay with Jill, an old friend I've known since college through my Aunt Char.  Jill and Char have been BFF's since their mission to NY.  Jillzy lives in NY but has a summer home in St. George. This was her second attempt at St. George just like me.  Staying chez ellee was better than I could have imagined.  Totally NTS--not too shabby.  You gotta love 10,000 square feet, a pool, gorgeous views, and oh, did I mention the steam room for a shower?  Pure luxury!  What made it the best was Jill.  Being with her is like hanging with your sister or best friend from High School...pure fun.  So we talked and laughed until our faces started falling off and the ceiling started to move.  Did I mention my indulgence in an Ambien cocktail as well?

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

No comments:

Post a Comment